About Us

My photo
Humanitarian worker / Human Rights activist / Campaigner / Researcher / Member-at-large of humanity / Citizen of the world

Monday, August 25, 2008

How Long Does Foreign Feel Foreign?

When does foreign, strange, and chaos feel like home, familiarity and orderly? I consciously noticed the other day while I was driving that I knew where I was going and did not have to think and concentrate quite so hard. When I crossed the street, I knew which direction to look and it I recognized the pattern of the traffic and why I should look this way or that. I know where to find the bread and milk at the grocery store and I didn’t get lost on my way to church (well I turned around once). Things around me are feeling familiar. I am beginning to be part of this community. I have lived in this place just over a month and our belongings have been here just over one week. School will start in one week and the routine of life and work will begin.

I like it here. There is beauty here. There is a Gorge that takes my breath away on an early morning run. The lake glistens when the morning sun reflects on the surface. And a huge gliding bird sweeps across the lake to find its breakfast. There is green everywhere. Bushes, shrubs, wild flowers and trees are along every walk way. It is a different kind of beauty than we shared in Colorado but still a glimpse of the hand of God in nature.

It did not rain today… yet. The sun is breathing life into my spirit and my bones. I think it will be a good day.
-Melia

1 comment:

Tiffanie said...

Yay! I'm so glad you are finding things to be more familiar! I remember moving to Springfield even and realizing I knew my way around and what-not. It's exciting :) Granted, Springfield and London are QUITE different! :) But you know what I mean!

Love you guys!!